There are now just two weeks to enter the NZ Orienteering Championships (‘Nationals’).
Based on where we’re at and the need for orienteers and organisers to have certainty, we are now moving forward with our Level 2 plan. Key elements of the Level 2 plan are as follows:
- Nationals will be a 3-day event (Saturday 24 – Monday 26 October).
- Long distance on Saturday, Middle distance on Sunday, and Sprint on Monday.
- People will be assigned to ‘travel groups’, according to their club or where they are travelling from.
- Elites will be allocated their own time block, regardless of travel group.
- World Ranking Event status still applies for long- and middle-distance events.
- No food, coffee or water at the event centre, and limited other facilities—so come well prepared!
COVID Tracer QR codes for contact tracing, good hygiene practices, and physical distancing where possible are all an expectation of participation at Nationals 2020.
We know that things will look and feel a bit different, but we need to ensure a safe and fun competition for everyone.
What if alert levels change?
None of the key elements of the Level 2 plan that are listed above will be revisited, even if COVID-19 alert levels across the country are below Alert Level 2 on the day.
We know that people want to catch up and compare notes. If all of New Zealand is at Alert Level 1, you will more likely see a more relaxed approach at event centres—but one that conforms to the expected public health practices of that alert level.
For detail about what happens if alert levels anywhere in New Zealand exceed Level 2 as of 23 October, see our decision criteria.
Everyone must register to enter
Entries for Nationals are now open until midnight Friday 9 October.
All entries from April were voided, so anyone who intends to come along needs to re-enter. Until your name appears on the list of confirmed entries, you are not entered—and you are not automatically re-entered, even if we are holding over your entry fee from Easter.
We will be contacting those people whose money we have to ensure that they receive the correct reimbursement in light of our moving to a three-day event. We are also contacting our volunteers to reconfirm their arrangements for helping.
We appreciate your commitment to attending Nationals—make sure to enter by midnight Friday 9 October.